Been eyeing up a fridge with a water dispenser?
Maybe you’ve had one for a while and wondering if the filter is all it’s cracked up to be.
The question is, what does a fridge water filter actually do?
And is it worth having one installed?
Let’s find the answer to those questions right now.
What Does A Fridge Water Filter Actually Do?
What Is A Fridge Water Filter?
It would be simple to say that a fridge water filter is a water filter that is attached to your fridge! But, that doesn’t tell you anything about what it actually does and whether it adds value to your lifestyle or not! So, what is it really?
A fridge water filter is a device that is designed to improve the quality of your drinking water. It dispenses water out of a nozzle in your refrigerator via a built-in water and ice dispenser. The filter unit is either an enclosed capsule within the fridge that needs to be manually topped up, or is connected to a plumbing line so that it draws directly from your usual water supply.
The primary function of a fridge water filter is to remove impurities and contaminants from your drinking water. That includes things like sediment, chlorine, bacteria and other harmful substances. The filter portion often uses activated carbon or other filtering materials to trap and eliminate contaminants, leaving your water cleaner and better tasting.
Why Are Fridge Water Filters Good?
Fridge water filters are a really popular choice for many households. Here’s why:
- Better Water: This type of filter is an effective way to remove impurities, contaminants, sediment, chlorine and odours from your water. The filter significantly improves the overall quality of your drinking water, providing cleaner and better-tasting water than your kitchen tap.
- Healthier Options: Because the filter removes potentially harmful substances from your water, it can make it healthier to drink. This is particularly true if you aren’t connected to town supply.
- Convenience: Having a built-in water filter in the refrigerator allows your family easy access to filtered water and ice. It removes the need for separate filter jugs or bottled water. Having a filter right there in the fridge is super convenient for all kinds of households as the water is readily available and can even encourage increased water consumption.
- Better For The Environment: Having a fridge water filter reduces your reliance on things like single-use plastic water bottles. As you have clean, fresh water literally on tap, you won’t need to buy bottled water, contributing positively to the environment by decreasing plastic waste.
- Cost Effective: If you have been relying on bottled water in your household, you will notice a significant cost saving by switching to a fridge water filter. The only cost involved is replacing the filter cartridge periodically, which is minimal in comparison to weekly supermarket bills.
- Easy Care: Most fridge water filters are relatively easy to remove and replace. The process requires minimal effort, no specialised tools, and can be done in a matter of minutes.
Fridge Water Filter Maintenance Tips
Fridge water filters will require a small amount of maintenance to keep them operating effectively and providing clean, fresh drinking water. These are the maintenance tasks you should perform:
- Keep Clean: Your filter will keep the drinking water clean, but you will need to keep the dispenser nozzle and surrounding area clean. This will prevent bacteria growth and poor filter hygiene from occurring.
- Monitor Water Quality: If you notice a change in the taste, clarity, or odour of your water, it’s time to do some investigation. It might be an indication that the filter cartridge needs replacing.
- Check The Indicator Light: Most fridge models will have an indicator light that flashes red when it’s time to replace your filter cartridge. When this light comes on, replacement is required.
- Replace The Cartridge: It is recommended to replace your filter cartridge at least every 6 months (earlier if the light comes on or you notice a change in your water supply). Replacing the old cartridge with a new one will ensure your filter continues to function optimally. Make sure you follow the installation instructions correctly during this process.
- Choose The Right Filter: When replacing the cartridge, ensure that you select one that is compatible with your fridge model. If you aren’t sure what you need, get in touch with our friendly team for helpful advice.
- Flush The Filter: Before you use your water dispenser after replacing the filter cartridge, it is important to flush out the filter to remove any air or loose carbon particles. This usually involves running the water for a set amount of time, but your filter manual will give you exact instructions.
- Track Your Replacement Time: Note the date that you changed the filter cartridge so that you know when the next replacement is needed. It can be helpful to put a reminder on your calendar or in your phone.
Choosing The Right Filter
For your fridge water filter to operate in the way that it should, you need to select the right replacement cartridges. Luckily, we have you covered.
We stock a wide range of filters that are compatible with some of the biggest brands in refrigeration - Electrolux, Fisher & Paykel, Samsung, LG, Bosch, Miele, Daewoo, Kitchenaid, Whirlpool and more.